NOAA NCTR research product
Not an official forecast
Tsunami Event - June 23, 2001 Peru
Main Event Page
The Peruvian tsunami was generated by a Mw 8.4 earthquake (16.380°S 73.500°W), 2001-06-23 20:33:15 UTC (according to the USGS).Modeling
- Preliminary Numerical Simulations
- TUNAMI-N2 Model, Shunichi Koshimura
- MOST Model, Vasily Titov
Model and DART® buoy data/ tide gauge sea level data comparisons
- Unit Sources: 5.7*a15 + 1.98*a16 + 2.9*b16
- 15 Second and 1 Minute Tide Gage Data (FTP) and Plots - 1 minute & 15 second (PDF)
These tide gage data were provided by the NOS Field Operations Division, Pacific Regional Office. The 1 minute data were downloaded via modem and the 15 second data on RAMPAK were mailed from individual stations maintained by NOAA.
Minimal editing/reformatting and no quality control has been performed.
- 2 or 4 Minute Tide Gage Data (FTP) and Plots (PDF)
These tide gage data were downloaded via ftp from the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, NWS.
Minimal editing was done and no quality control has been performed.
- Bottom Pressure Data [sampled at 1 hz] (FTP) and Plots [1 plot/data file, covers a little more than an hour time period] - Huntington, Santa Cruz 1 & 2, Scripps (PDF)
These data were furnished by the Coastal Data Information Program, operated by the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, under the sponsorship of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the California Department of Boating and Waterways.
No editing or quality control has been performed at PMEL on this version of the data.
Further Information on this Tsunami
- Compilation of Web-Links by Type of Data
For media inquiries:
When using information from this page, please credit NOAA / PMEL / Center for Tsunami Research